I enjoy reading historical fiction books. When reading, I like to look up information about the events happening at the specific time in history. This helps me understand the book’s story line better.
I enjoy these books even more when there is a reference to the art of the era. Having recently I read the latest book by Jennifer Chiaverini, I did some additional reading about the history of quilting.
One of the sources talked about Depression Era quilts. Many of these quilts were string quilts made of small fabric scraps stitched together to make a piece of fabric large enough to cut a pattern piece. These larger pieces were stitched together to make a quilt block. The quilt blocks were put together to make a quilt top. This method was used during hard times when money and fabric were scarce. Scraps of all sizes were utilized.
Over the past decade, this method has also made a resurgence within the art quilt community.
There were several pictures of a string quilts that have caught my attention.
One of the quilters that I really liked was Ursula Kern. Her string quilts are breathtaking. The illusion of movement and shape that she creates is absolutely amazing.
I decided that I wanted to try to make a string quilt wall hanging for my sewing room. With wall space limited, the only spot I had left to hang something was adjacent to my four seasons landscape quilt. So, in keeping the the landscape theme, I thought a tree might fit the area well.
Looking at tree clipart images, I selected one, traced it out on pellon, and then divided the pellon into a 7×11 grid. Each section of the grid (2″ x 3.75″) was used as one block of the string quilting.
Since I have a lot a scraps from various other quilts, and not wanting to purchase more fabric right now, I pulled out my scraps, sorted them by color and started creating each of the blocks.
The seventy seven blocks were sewn together (with numerous changes to match my design better). The illusion is somewhat like a stained glass window – I really like it!
For the quilting, I used one layer of Quilter’s Dream Cotton batting. To create texture for the tree and shrubs, I placed pieces of Quilter’s Dream Wool batting in these areas between the cotton batting and the pieced top. The background sky was quilted with straight lines and the tree was loosely quilted to allow the depth of the batting to show.
One thought on “Fractured Tree”